Kidpower’s Six-Step Process for Preparing Young People for More Independence
1. Make realistic assessments about the situation and the child.
2. Teach about safety in ways that build confidence, not fear.
3. Learn, practice, and coach the use of the People Safety skills.
4. Co-pilot with your child to field-test the use of safety skills in the real world.
5. Conduct trial runs to rehearse independence in controlled doses with adult backup.
6. Keep communications open with listening, ongoing checking in, and review.
This process is described in detail, with examples of how to follow it, in the Bonus Toolkit on p. 217.